Charles has the truck reserved for Monday. I'm tentatively curious (read: super negative. Don't tell him.) about how we're going to fit another bedroom set into the place. Get ready for some pictures that evoke Hoarders and feature me doing the laugh-cry in the background.
In preparation for The Next 13 And A Half Months, I'm spending today getting rid of some crap. Specifically, underwhelming books, underwhelming clothes, busted electronics, and a wealth of VHS tapes bestowed upon me by my VERY GENEROUS FRIENDS. No, I have not owned a VHS player since living here. No, it did not stop me from bringing in 3 bags of tapes. Of things (er, no offense, Anna) that no one should really spend time watching. (You Got Served, anyone? How about a nice Titanic viewing? Don't forget the second tape. Actually probably just watch the second tape.)
As a recovering packrat of strong packrat lineage, I sought help from organizing blogs (these exist! Many of them!), magazines and wise friends. Most sources will tell you, if you don't use it or wear it, get rid of it. This was tough to internalize but I think I got the hang of it. Goodbye, Burlodge shirt. Goodbye, ragstock accident of a skirt. Goodbye, hoopdie candleholders and extra rolling pin.
Diana was helpful with the books. She said that keeping books from our days in Women's Studies that build up high-level theory with giant words is NOT the same thing as being a socially just person. Or any kind of person. Except a packrat. THAT was a liberating moment. (Not that they're all going, of course. But many are. Dear Sisters, you made the cut. Breaking the Bowls, thank you for your service. I bet, had I actually read you, you would've been really groundbreaking.)
And finally, in addition to the practical suggestions, I enjoyed the following quirkier thoughts from Unclutterer.
"When sorting — even if you aren’t having much difficulty — keep the following three things in mind to help you speed through the process:
- Don’t touch it. Avoid touching items you anticipate are going to be difficult for you to sort. Instead, ask a friend, family member, or professional organizer to hold these objects up for you. When we touch objects, we form stronger emotional connections with these objects. You’re more likely to be reasonable and make rational decisions about objects if you don’t touch them.
- Post your goal. Draw a picture, write it down, or find an old photograph of the space when it was uncluttered and organized and post it where you can see it while you work. You can’t talk yourself into keeping objects you don’t need when you have a constant reminder of your goal staring you in the face.
- Be happy. Play upbeat music, listen to an audiobook with a positive message, have a friend with a good attitude keep you company, or do whatever you need to do to stay happy during the process. When you’re in a good mood, your stress levels decrease and you’re more creative, able to come up with alternatives, and be more hopeful about the future. Happiness is a terrific friend during the uncluttering process."
The next time you hear from me, I'll be adjusting to my new life without Billy Blanks' Tae-Bo Ultimate Abs. Hope it's bearable.
I am very proud of you! Next project = craft supplies.
ReplyDeleteNo? Yeah, I guessed that.
:)
Uh... yeah, no. :o)
ReplyDelete"I could use this scrap of ribbon someday! You NEVER KNOW."