Yankee that I am, I don't have much experience in the world of frying things. This is sad. Pakora curry is my homeboy. Donuts haunt my dreams. But mine has been a world of "dinner" as baking, or steaming, or more often than I'm proud of, microwaving.
To the rescue is this month's BHG (which, can we just talk about Michelle Obama + healthy picnic foods for a second? Holy crapballs this is my dream.) Their corn and bean fritter recipe did not disappoint, even after the week and a half of anticipation that brewed while I was working and traveling and unable to create crispy magic in my own kitchen.
Oh here it is!
I added to this some southwest chipotle seasoning... and just a modest pile of shreddy cheese... and hello, we have dinner.
Charles tested, Laura approved. I should add that Charles: a) added his beloved sour cream, b) did not detect the beans prior to my disclosure of their existence in this dish (score 1 for veggie protein not ruining an experience), and c) inadvertently renamed this "corn pancakes." Why not.
But while we're at it, what else could we fry? Can we take the idea of part vegetable, part bean, part cornbread masterpiece on a trip around the farmers market? Can we instead grate zucchini, or onion, or something even stranger? Of COURSE we can. Pick your poison:
Happy frying! I'll see you at the cardiovascular center.




No comments:
Post a Comment